Ashby de la Zouch

01530 639 031


01827 758 041

Will Trusts & Life interest


What is a will trust?

A will trust is any trust created by will. All trusts are created by formal legal documents, and for a will trust, the trust deed is the will itself. The trust comes into effect when you die.


Your executors are the people who collect in your assets and deal with all legal and administrative requirements following the death. Often, the same people are also appointed as the trustees of any ongoing trusts. You need at least two trustees, and they should be people who will act in the interests of your chosen beneficiaries, as well as being able to manage the legal duties and responsibilities that trustees must comply with.


There are various reasons why a will trust may be helpful, and different ways they can be used. You might want a trust in your will so that assets can be held until a specific event, such as your children reaching age 18 or 25 (or a different age). Or you may want them to receive a share of the assets over an extended period of time such as five years, rather than receiving their whole inheritance at once.


You may want to create a discretionary trust so your trustees make decisions about which of your nominated beneficiaries will inherit, rather than you fixing the entitlements in the will. The trustees can then respond to changes in circumstances and tax rules, and make their decisions accordingly.


A will trust can also be used to deal with successive interests in assets, often properties. If you leave a property to someone outright, it becomes 100% theirs and they can do whatever they want with it. Some people prefer to leave their property into a trust so the beneficiary is able to live in the house or benefit from any rental income for the rest of their life. When that person dies, the trust specifies what happens to the property then, so the original owner retains control as to where the asset goes next. The first beneficiary has a life interest in the house and is able to enjoy or benefit from the property or its income, but cannot dispose of the capital. This is protected by the trustees, who pass it on to the next named beneficiary when the first dies.


There are many different types of trusts, each with their own rules, regulations and tax regimes, so it is important to take specialist advice before deciding what sort of trust to create, and how to leave your assets.





Whatever your needs, assets or personal situation, we will listen to you and provide friendly and practical advice. Understanding your circumstances is the most important thing, so if you prefer to meet in person, by video link or something else - no matter where you are, we’re here to drive the change you need, or solve the problems you have.

Ask a Question Request a Callback Get a Quote

Latest News and Events

Business & Workplace

How to evict a commercial tenant

If you are a commercial landlord having difficulty with a tenant, read our quick guide to commercial eviction.
Read Article
Disputes & Claims

Can you claim compensation if you are injured skiing or snowboarding?

If you have been injured as a result of a skiing, snowboarding, or other snow sports accident, find out how to make a claim with our quick guide.
Read Article
Business & Workplace

Storm Arwen: Who is responsible for damage and loss in commercial properties?

If your rented commercial property has been damaged in a flood or storm, find out what your landlord must do when it comes to repairs.
Read Article
Family Law

Mistakes to avoid when negotiating a separation agreement

If you are separating from a partner, you may have considered a separation agreement. In our latest article, we set out common mistakes to avoid.
Read Article
Team Fishers

Meet our new Solicitor - Jonathan peck

Jon re-joins Fishers as a Dispute Resolution Solicitor, after leaving the firm a few years ago due to a long commute. Since flexible and home working came into play, Jon was delighted to 'come back home.'
Read Article
Disputes & Claims

Renting and repairs: My landlord won't fix the heating, what can I do?

Winter is the worst time to be left without heating in your home. If your landlord won’t make repairs, you can take action. Read our guide.
Read Article

Your employment rights as a 'Christmas temp'

If you have started a new role as a Christmas temp, make sure you understand your rights. Read our quick guide.
Read Article
Fishers is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, SRA number 48317. The Solicitors Code of Conduct can be found by clicking the logo.



Cookie Policy   |   Terms & Conditions   |   Privacy Policy   |   Sitemap

© 2022 Fishers Solicitors

Website Design Quiet Storm Solutions Ltd | Manage Cookie Settings