Pay Online

Ashby de la Zouch

01530 639 031


01827 758 041

Storm Arwen: Who is responsible for damage and loss in commercial properties?

With the UK recently hit by Storm Arwen, many businesses have suffered damage and loss. However, if a rented business premises has been damaged, who is responsible for making repairs? What if a premises is no longer fit for use? In this article, we look at storm damage and commercial tenancies.


My business premises was damaged during a storm, what can I do?


Where your business premises are damaged during a storm, this will generally be covered by the landlord’s buildings insurance. However, it is crucial to note that if the property has not been well maintained and damage has occurred over time, the insurer may not be willing to pay out. It is a tenant’s responsibility to inform the landlord of any necessary repairs as soon as they arise to mitigate the possibility of severe damage.


My equipment and stock were damaged during a storm, what can I do?


If your equipment or stock is damaged during a storm, or as a result of damage caused during a storm, this is generally covered by your contents insurance. Generally, any additional fixtures or fittings that you have installed and paid for are your responsibility to repair, replace and insure.


My business cannot operate until storm damage repairs are made, what can I do?


Storm damage can have a huge impact on your business, and you may be unable to operate until repairs are made. You may have a business interruption clause in your insurance policy that will cover these circumstances. However, if you are in dispute with your landlord about making these repairs and you do not have such a policy in place, every day is costing you money. Several options are available to you if your landlord will not make the repairs as set out below.


My landlord is refusing to make repairs following a storm, what can I do?


Commercial leases and repairs obligations are a complex area of the law and a source of many legal disputes. You should seek legal advice on your specific situation from a specialist solicitor who will advise you on the best course of action for your situation.




If you make the repairs yourself and deduct the cost from any rent due to the landlord. You mustn’t take this course of action without legal advice.


Court declaration


It is possible to get a declaration from the Court setting out what action the landlord must take or allowing the tenant to take the self-help action outlined above.




Where the landlord’s delay is costing your business money, you may be able to bring a claim for compensation, known as damages, against them.



Fishers Facebook Link

Fishers Twitter Link

Fishers LinkedIn Link

Fishers Youtube Link

Fishers Instagram Link




Whatever your needs, assets or personal situation, we will listen to you and provide friendly and practical advice. Understanding your circumstances is the most important thing, so if you prefer to meet in person, by video link or something else - no matter where you are, we’re here to drive the change you need, or solve the problems you have.

Ask a Question Request a Callback Get a Quote
Fishers is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, SRA number 48317. The Solicitors Code of Conduct can be found by clicking the logo.



Cookie Policy   |   Terms & Conditions   |   Privacy Policy   |   Sitemap

© 2022 Fishers Solicitors

Website Design Quiet Storm Solutions Ltd | Manage Cookie Settings