Pay Online

Ashby de la Zouch

01530 639 031


01827 758 041

Divorce and Children Solicitors


If you and your partner are separating, you will have many emotionally difficult decisions to make in relation to your children. From where they will live to where they will go to school, your children’s wellbeing should be at the centre of everything you decide.


Divorce and dissolution can be a confusing and frightening time for children. We approach all matters involving children sensitively and pragmatically, looking to help individuals find positive solutions without any unnecessary conflict.


Why choose our divorce solicitors?


We are members of the Law Society Lexcel Accreditation scheme, the legal practice quality mark for firms that demonstrate exceptional client care.


Our family law team includes Resolution accredited specialist, Andrew Robinson. Resolution is an organisation of legal professionals all devoted to helping families find harmonious solutions to family law issues without immediately resorting to stressful and expensive legal proceedings.


We always view court as a last resort and in the vast majority of cases. We can secure a sufficient resolution for our clients without ever stepping foot in a court room. In our experience, the best solutions to children-related issues are achieved through cooperative discussion and negotiation.


Our divorce and children expertise


We can provide advice on all legal aspects of making arrangements for children upon divorce, dissolution or separation, including:


Voluntary parenting plans


Most couples are able to come to an agreement about their children without going to court. We can help you discuss and agree matters such as:

  • Who your children will live with most of the time
  • How much contact they will have with their ‘non-resident’ parent
  • How much contact they will have with other relatives such as grandparents
  • Key decisions about their upbringing, such as where they will go to school or whether they will have a religious education
  • Child maintenance payments


Once you have come to a final agreement, it is possible to make your agreement legally binding by applying to court for a Consent Order. As you and your partner both agree to this, you probably won’t need to go to court. Children related court orders Although we usually seek to avoid court, we accept that in some situations it is unavoidable. If you are concerned about being unable to come to a voluntary arrangement with your former partner, for whatever reason, we will be happy to provide advice about a wide range of court orders you can seek instead, including:


Child Arrangements Orders to decide matters, such as:

  • Where your children will live
  • How much contact they will have with their ‘non-resident parent’
  • How much contact they will have with other relatives such as grandparents
  • What types of contact should take place, for example, phone calls, letters and overnight stays


Specific Issue Orders to decide on a particular issue, such as:

  • Where the children will go to school
  • Whether they should have a religious upbringing
  • Whether they can change their name


Prohibited Steps Orders to prevent someone with parental responsibility make a particular decision about a child, such as:

  • To prevent the child from being taken abroad
  • To prevent the child being moved out of the local area
  • To prevent the child’s name from being changed


When making a decision about your children, the family court’s paramount consideration will be their welfare. They have a number of factors they must take into consideration, including the child’s age, their wishes, and your ability to parent them. Usually, it is in a child’s best interests to have regular, meaningful contact with both parents. Regardless, we will ensure your own interests are well represented during the matter.


Child maintenance

Parents have a responsibility to financially support their children. Child maintenance is usually paid from the ‘non-resident’ parent to the parent with whom the children live most of the time.


If you cannot come to a voluntary decision about child maintenance, we can help you:


  • Use the Child Maintenance Service (CMS) – the CMS uses a formula to calculate what payments should be made. It can also collect payments, chase late payments and take court action if the paying parent fails to keep up with their payment responsibilities
  • Get a Child Maintenance Order – you can only get a court order in specific circumstances, such as if the paying parent lives abroad and you cannot use the CMS An experienced divorce lawyer can help you weigh up all the considerations and explore your options and find a solution that works for you.
Get in touch with our divorce solicitors in Ashby de la Zouch and Tamworth Get in touch with our expert divorce solicitors by giving us a call at your local branch in Ashby de la Zouch or Tamworth.
Family Law

A legal guide to life after divorce

Recently divorced? Here are a few legal matters you should consider before moving into the next chapter of your life.
Read Article
Family Law

I am divorced, can I force my wife to change her name? Plus what will happen to the children’s names now?

When a couple marry, it has traditionally been typical for one of the couple to assume the other’s surname (although this is not an actual requirement of the law).
Read Article
Family Law

Do only celebrities and Americans get Pre-Nups?

The idea that a Pre-Nuptial Agreement is something “foreign” or a concern only for wealthy or famous people is something of a myth.
Read Article
Family Law

Working it out when things go wrong

Relationship breakdown should not mean the opening of battle with a former partner, which will be supported by the introduction of ‘no fault’ divorce from April. The best outcomes can come through good communication and supported discussions.
Read Article
Family Law

Mistakes to avoid when negotiating a separation agreement

If you are separating from a partner, you may have considered a separation agreement. In our latest article, we set out common mistakes to avoid.
Read Article





Whatever your needs, assets or personal situation, we will listen to you and provide friendly and practical advice. Understanding your circumstances is the most important thing, so if you prefer to meet in person, by video link or something else - no matter where you are, we’re here to drive the change you need, or solve the problems you have.

Ask a Question Request a Callback Get a Quote

Latest News and Events

Team Fishers

Helping Hands: South Street Garden, gardening project

On Friday 10th June, a team of people set about a range of gardening tasks to tidy up a public garden on South Street in Ashby. The garden is council owned and managed by Ashby Rotary.
Read Article
Disputes & Claims

Challenging a Will – mental capacity

One of the ways that a person can try to argue that a Will is not (or should not be) valid is to challenge whether the deceased had mental capacity to make the Will.
Read Article
Disputes & Claims

Executor role – Remaining neutral when a claim is made against an Estate

Find out about an executors role to administer a Deceased’s person’s estate in more detail...
Read Article
Wills, Trust & Probate

Power of Attorney: Making your wishes clear

If you are planning to make a Power of Attorney, read our guide about how to discuss your wishes for the future with your loved ones:
Read Article
Business & Workplace

Navigating the gig economy and the choppy channel across to franchising

The gig economy is driving a rise in companies considering the use of franchise agreements to avoid worker or employee status for contractors but the way terms are written and the way the relationship really operates are vital.
Read Article
Home, Property & Land

Stamp duty changes ahead for multiple and mixed-use purchases

Stamp duty land tax (SDLT) changes are planned by HMRC to tackle potentially unfair outcomes, incorrect claims, or abuse of the rules relating to mixed use and multiple dwelling purchases.
Read Article
Disputes & Claims

Johnny Depp wins!

After three days of deliberation the long awaited verdict has been handed, Johnny Depp has won his defamation case against Amber Heard and Heard has a partial win on one account of her counter claim.
Read Article
Fishers is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, SRA number 48317. The Solicitors Code of Conduct can be found by clicking the logo.



Cookie Policy   |   Terms & Conditions   |   Privacy Policy   |   Sitemap

© 2022 Fishers Solicitors

Website Design Quiet Storm Solutions Ltd | Manage Cookie Settings